Friday, January 8, 2010

Projekt: Doughnutku sudah berjaya...

Ni bukan doughnut biasa ye..Ni doughnut Jarman atau nama sebenar, Berliner. There's a lot of other German terms for this type of 'doughnut' but most of the bakeries here call them Berliner or Krapfen. Its the same yeast dough as a normal doughnut but instead of the familiar donut shape with the hole in the middle, the Berliner is simply round with jam filling and sprinkled with sugar on top.

Some of you probably know about the story of the then American President John F. Kennedy's famous speech in West Berlin in 1963 where he probably wanted to say "I am a resident of Berlin" and the correct term should've been "Ich bin Berliner". Instead he said "Ich bin ein Berliner" which actually means "I am a jelly doughnut." I think its cute, well who doesnt love a jelly doughnut?

Anyway, I tried almost 3-4 times to make doughnuts but this is the first time I succeded. I guess the yeast and I have this love-hate relationship. I got this recipe accidentally, thanks to my foodblog-hopping habit, from the foodblog called deliciousdays. I couldnt do exactly as directed since I dont own certain kitchen apparatus. So I improvised...

Berliner
I made half of the recipe, the dough turns out nicely and this glass was my doughnut cutter...

Berliner
I fry them in a pan filled with 1-inch deep of frying oil. I didn't own a cooking thermometer so I had to use my feelings...haha

Berliner
The sprinkling of the icing sugar was easy...

Berliner
Some we ate just like that...

Berliner
Some we filled with raspberry jam. I didnt have a piping nozzle, so I just cut a slit with a knife and spoon teaspoons of jam into it...

Berliner
The best doughnut I've made by far. Yummy yummy yummy...many thanks to delicious days.

7 comments:

hunnybunny said...

ya lol...i saw the speech about JFK on a documentary..anyways donut comel cem dorayaki :P

Eine Frau aus Botnang said...

Rajin betul Mami ni tau!! My kids will jilat the zucker powder first baru makan the donut! Well done Mami!! Creme Brulee is also my fav dessert, love the part ketuk gula bakar tu before dipping into the soft cream.

mami said...

hunny,
hg ni peminat dorayaki rupanya..even my macarons look comel like dorayaki to you..muahaha...thanks ya!

hi Fasha,
takde de rajin, saja sronok2...I saw your boys on your blog, they're precious..so handsome..
I love to ketuk the gula bakar as well...simply therapeutic!..

CS said...

Mami, I kalah dengan mende2 cam nih .. kalah maknanya boleh hentak2 kaki kalau tak dapat :-0 (begitu buruk prilaku makcik yg dah meno. Dah mcm dak kecik, hahahehehuhu..)

mami said...

hi somuffins,

hehe..jgn merajuk aa...buruk rupa budak2 kalau merajuk,inikan pula wanita melayu terakhir macam kita nih..hehe..meh kami baling sedozen dua donut kat awak, awak kat selangor tu tunggu depan rumah aa....

cikgu jue said...

ingatkan takde termometer, mami nak guna jari.... he he he...

mami said...

hi jue mj,

haha..saya tak guna jari sbb cikgu kungfu saya tak sempat nak ajar..huhu....tu yang saya guna perasaan tu..